The FN American Heritage
Fabrique Nationale d’Armes de Guerre (FN) is formed to produce 150,000 Mauser rifles for the Belgian government. The first was delivered to the Belgian government on February 6, 1892.
FN sales manager Hart O. Berg travels to the U.S. to learn about bicycle technology and is introduced to John Moses Browning. This begins a partnership that would last for nearly 30 years.
FN begins manufacturing the Browning-designed Auto-5, the first mass-produced semi-automatic shotgun.
1914 – 1918
During World War I, the FN board of directors closes the factory and releases the workers in advance of German requisition.
John Moses Browning, age 71, dies of a heart attack in Herstal. Work was interrupted as a sign of mourning and all staff paid their respects to his remains, which lay in state in the FN board room.
FN enters into a production agreement to produce the Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR).
FN begins production of the “Baby” Browning.
FN begins production of the High Power pistol.
1940 - 1945
The FN factory is requisitioned by the German army and is hit by Allied V1` and V2 buzz bombs while occupied. After liberation, FN repairs more than two million U.S. small arms recovered from the European theater.
FN chief designer Dieudonne Saive creates the first prototype of the FN FAL. The Canadian Army would be the first to adopt it in 1953, followed by 100 other countries.
NATO standardizes FN’s 7.62x51 mm cartridge for small arms. FN designer Ernest Vervier finishes the MAG 7.62 mm gas operated machine gun.
Fabrique Nationale d’Armes de Guerre becomes FN Herstal.
The FN MAG®, designated as the M240, is adopted by the U.S. Army.
FN acquires controlling interest in Browning Inc.
FN opens FN Manufacturing (now part of FN America) in Columbia, SC to produce the FN MAG (M240) for the U.S. Army.
NATO standardizes FN’s 5.56x45 mm cartridge for small arms. Production of the FN MINIMI begins in Belgium.
FN acquires U.S. Repeating Arms Company, including the license to manufacture Winchester-brand firearms.
The U.S. Army adopts the FN MINIMI®, designated as the M249 Squad Automatic Weapon (SAW). Production begins at FN Manufacturing in 1991.
As the company celebrates its 100th anniversary, The Herstal Group is created as the parent company for FN Herstal. FN Manufacturing (now part of FN America) also wins the contract to produce M16 rifles for the U.S. military.
FN begins production of the FN P90® submachine gun in Belgium.
FNH USA, LLC (now part of FN America) is founded in McLean, VA to provide marketing and sales support to the company’s U.S. operations.
FN begins actively selling to U.S. law enforcement market and begins development of integrated weapons systems, the F2000® and the FN 303® Less Lethal Launcher.
FN unveils the FN M3M™, which is adopted by the U.S. Navy in 2004 and designated as the GAU-21.
FN introduces the companion sidearm for the 5.7x28mm system, the Five-seveN®.
FN introduces the FNP™-45, the .45 ACP addition to its polymer–framed FNP™ pistol line.
FN introduces the FN SLP™ Standard auto-loading shotgun.
The FN SCAR®—designated as the MK 16 and MK 17—is operationally deployed around the globe to U.S. special operators and other agencies, along with the MK 13 Enhanced Grenade Launcher Module.
FN launches the FNS™—a new polymer, striker-fired pistol developed for law enforcement, military and commercial markets.
FN introduces the SCAR® PDW to the U.S. military.
FN introduces its semi-automatic variants of the M16 and M4 with the FN 15™ Rifle and FN 15™ Carbine to the commercial markets, and The Herstal Group celebrates its 125th anniversary and FNH USA and FN Manufacturing become one entity, FN America.